Sussman, Amanda. The Art of the Possible McLelland and Stewart: Toronto, 2007
Milne, Glen. Making Policy: A Guide to the Federal Government’s Policy Process. Milne: Ottawa, 2007. (Available at www.makingpolicy.com)
Links from within the toolkit
Government Employee Directory (to find contact information for any government official).
House of Commons Petition Guide (to find out how to write a petition to the federal government).
Canada Revenue Agency’s Guidelines for charities (to find out how much advocacy work is allowed by the CRA).
- Getting started
- Developing an Advocacy Strategy
- Advocacy "How-tos"
- How to form relationships with policy makers
- How to write a letter to an MP
- How to call your MP
- How to meet with your MP
- How to write a petition
- How to do a demonstration
- How to write a one-page brief
- How to organize a public meeting
- How to work with the media
- How to write a press release
- How to meet with civil servants
- Additional Resources
Citizens for Public Justice (CPJ) and our work of faith, justice and politics: